Gone are the days when repairing a cavity meant wearing a noticeable silver smile. Our dentists at Coleman Advanced Dentistry can now restore your oral health and your seamless smile using tooth-colored fillings made to perfectly match your natural tooth enamel. We use the highest quality materials for long-lasting results.
What Are Tooth-Colored Fillings?
Tooth-colored fillings are a type of restoration made of composite resin material. They offer an aesthetic alternative to traditional silver amalgam fillings, repairing cavities with virtually unnoticeable results.
In the past, tooth-colored fillings only repaired small to mid-sized cavities in the front teeth. The technology behind the composite resin material has progressed significantly in recent years, resulting in stronger and longer-lasting restorations. Today’s white fillings are highly durable and able to withstand the chewing pressure of even the molars, making them ideal for repairing any decayed teeth.
What Are the Advantages of Tooth-Colored Fillings?
Here is a look at some of the advantages of tooth-colored fillings:
- They Look Natural: The filling material is closely matched to the color and texture of your tooth enamel, delivering seamless results, unlike metal fillings with their silver color.
- They Preserve More Tooth Structure: Tooth-colored fillings require less removal of natural tooth structure than their amalgam counterparts, providing a more conservative option for cavity repair.
- They Bond to the Tooth Structure: Tooth-colored fillings bond to the tooth like an adhesive, creating a tight seal, preventing leakage, and fortifying the tooth structure.
- They Do Not Contract and Expand: Composite fillings do not react to temperature changes, unlike metal fillings that expand and contract, damaging the tooth structure.
- They Are Safe and Biocompatible: Tooth-colored fillings are free of mercury and much less likely than metal fillings to cause allergies or adverse reactions.
- They Are Easy to Repair: Tooth-colored fillings are incredibly resilient, but if they sustain damage, they are easy to repair, unlike metal fillings that need to be removed in their entirety.
- They Are Versatile: White fillings not only repair decay but also offer a cosmetic solution for improving the size, length, color, and overall appearance of teeth.
What Can I Expect During the Tooth-Colored Filling Procedure?
Our cosmetic dentists use a technique called air abrasion to prepare the teeth for dental fillings. Compressed air sprays a stream of sand-like particles at the areas of decay, while gentle suction removes any excess. This technique makes it possible to reduce or even eliminate the need for local anesthetics or the use of a standard drill.
After removing the decayed or damaged tooth structure, our dentists will place the dental filling material in layers and shape it to look and feel like your natural teeth. A curing light will dry and harden the tooth-colored filling material in seconds. The last step of the process is making any needed adjustments for a comfortable finish.
How Should I Care for My Restored Teeth?
Caring for teeth with composite resin fillings is no different than caring for your natural teeth. It is important to brush and floss regularly to keep tooth decay at bay. Limit your consumption of sugary, sticky, or hard foods to keep your smile healthy and sound. If you grind your teeth in your sleep, a condition known as bruxism, a custom-fitted mouthguard will protect your restoration as well as your natural tooth enamel.
Remember to visit Coleman Advanced Dentistry for your twice-a-year dental exams and cleanings. Our team will monitor your oral health and tooth-colored fillings to ensure they stay in tip-top shape.
Tooth-Colored Fillings Near Me in Vista, CA
Treating cavities does not need to detract from your smile. Call our dental office today and schedule an appointment to discuss the benefits of tooth-colored fillings. Our accomplished dentists and dedicated team are committed to providing quality, durable restorations for long-term healthy smiles. We invite you to contact us to schedule a consultation today.